Conjunctivitis advice

Latest Conjunctivitis advice
from the Royal College of Nursing and NHS
Conjunctivitis is a bacterial or viral infection known as infective conjunctivitis. Infective conjunctivitis typically involves red or pink eyes that may be sticky or watery and can cause irritation, although the condition is usually pain free. Most cases clear up in a few days without any treatment. Conjunctivitis can affect one eye at first, but usually affects both eyes after a few hours.
an allergic reaction to a substance such as pollen or dust mites – this is known as allergic conjunctivitis
the eye coming into contact with things that can irritate the conjunctiva, such as shampoo or chlorinated water, or a loose eyelash rubbing against the eye – this is known as irritant conjunctivitis irritant conjunctivitis will clear up as soon as whatever is causing it is removed.
Allergic conjunctivitis can usually be treated with anti-allergy medications such as antihistamines. If possible, you should avoid the substance that triggered the allergy.
.You DO need to: • Bathe any sticky or crusty coating on eyelids or eyelashes with water and cotton wool • Keep their eyes uncovered • Discourage them from touching their eyes • Encourage them to wash their hands with soap and warm water regularly throughout the day • Make sure they use their own towels and pillows • Buy lubricant eye drops over the counter from a pharmacist in severe cases
You DON’T need to: • See a GP or practice nurse • Use antibiotics • Keep them away from school (unless they are feeling particularly unwell)
However Seek medical help from a Pharmacist or doctor if you experience
eye pain
sensitivity to light (photophobia)
disturbed vision
intense redness in one eye or both eyes
Work and school
Public Health England (PHE) advises that you don’t need to stay away from work or school if you or your child has conjunctivitis, unless you (or they) are feeling particularly unwell. If there are a number of conjunctivitis cases at your child’s school or nursery, you may be advised to keep them away until their infection has cleared up.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply